Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wednesday's Word: A Boss Your Heart Message

Many thanks to Mrs. D'Lane Moore for her Boss Your Heart contribution:

Boss Your Heart- Daily

I am not one for making New Year’s Resolutions because when I “resolve” to change something I tend to take God out the equation.  Don’t get me wrong.  My life is not “all together”.  I have things I want to be different- I have weight to lose, money to save, and books to read.  But if I resolved to change all those things, and then went about doing it with checklist and self-help books then I get all the credit.  The truth is, I believe that God has something even greater for me than being thin, having money in the bank, and being well read.  I get excited when I read scripture that says, “I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.” (John 10:10 Message).  That sounds like more than accomplishing my list of good, but not eternal things.

No, I don’t make resolutions, but I do write down a word for the year-  A word that I feel like God will use in my life to remind me of the changes HE is bringing about in my life.  2 Corinthians 5:17-18 says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:” My word for this year is “daily”.  God wants to change things in and around me.  He wants to conform me to the image of his Son.  This is, most likely, not going to happen in one fell swoop.  It is going to happen little by little as I daily boss my heart by doing the things that will allow my heart to be fed by Truth.  I will be conformed into Christ’s image because I daily choose His word over Facebook.  I will be conformed into Christ’s image because I choose prayer over chatting on the telephone.  I will be conformed into Christ’s image because I choose to listen to Him rather than fill up the silence with the TV.  None of these things are necessarily bad, but when I choose them over God, then I am choosing to let the ideas and philosophies of others boss my heart.  I want to, through the power of God’s word, be the one bossing my heart.  I want to DAILY choose Him first over the other fun things in my life.  Matthew 6:11 reminds us to pray, “Give us today our daily bread,” later in Matthew 6:33 the scripture instructs us to, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”  I will most likely frequent facebook, talk on the phone, and watch TV regularly, but not in place of God’s truth in my life. 

God- teach us to seek you first, daily for everything we need.  Make us into your image that your name may be made famous in every nation.  Help us Boss our hearts with your truth.

No comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus