Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wednesday's Word: A Boss Your Heart Message

Thanks, D'Lane, for today's devo:

Experiencing God Fully
D'Lane Moore

Well I knew it would happen.  I didn’t know when or what the circumstances would be, but I knew there would be (and most likely will be) a day I miss Bossing My Heart through daily Bible reading.  It happened this Saturday.  I decided to sleep in, telling myself I would read my Bible during my daughter’s nap time, but some how the day slipped away from me and my Bible went unread.  Then came Sunday, it was a very busy day and I had the best intentions of catching up on my Bible reading, but some how that day slipped away from me too.  I did catch up on Monday, and boy was my heart in for some bossing!

I am reading through the Bible chronologically, so one of the readings I was catching up on was in the last few chapters of Job.   God has finally responded to all of Job’s self righteousness and chatter.  And when he does Job gets a full dose of God.  His eyes are open and he truly sees God’s holiness, sovereignty, and magnificence.  Job responds in chapter 42 like this,

 Job answered God:
2 “I’m convinced: You can do anything and everything.
Nothing and no one can upset your plans.
3 You asked, ‘Who is this muddying the water,
ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?’
I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me,
made small talk about wonders way over my head.
4 You told me, ‘Listen, and let me do the talking.
Let me ask the questions. You give the answers.’
5 I admit I once lived by rumors of you;
now I have it all firsthand—from my own eyes and ears!
6 I’m sorry—forgive me. I’ll never do that again, I promise!
I’ll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor.”

WOW!!!  Job could finally admit who he truly was because he finally saw God for he truly was.  I L O V E when Job confessed his sin (verse 3) and his misunderstanding of God (verse 5).   But my heart God bossed big time by verse 6.  By not reading God’s word on Saturday and Sunday I was willingly accepting crust of hearsay and crumbs of rumors about God.  I was not experiencing him first hand through his word.  I was listening to his music on KLOVE, I was fellowshipping with his people at church, and I was listening to a great sermon.  Those things are not bad, in fact they are all great, but if they ever take the place of God’s own Holy Word in my life then they are out of place.  They are but mere crusts and crumbs compared to fully feasting on his precious word firsthand.

Do you know what happens next?  God restores Job!  And God can restore us!

I just want to encourage you about a few things-
*If you have fallen behind in your daily reading in this challenge, don’t give up.  It is worth the work and the fight to catch up and stick with it.  God will reward you with Himself!  What a great reward!
*If you have never experienced a relationship with God through Christ firsthand, only living on the crust of hearsay about him and crumbs of rumors about his mighty miracles in life, then ask God to truly reveal himself to you.  And feel free to comment or email your questions about this process.

Bossing our heart is a journey and we are here to encourage each other each step of the way; it doesn’t matter if it is your first step towards God or you are approaching the final years of your race.  Let us know how we can help.  

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for being all we need to satisfy every longing of our soul.  I cannot imagine the longings Job must have had after experiencing so much devastation, but I see that once all the religious talk was stripped away and he found himself face to face with you he was no longer overwhelmed with his circumstances.  He was overwhelmed by you.  God, overwhelm us with you.  Help us never to settle for hearsay and rumors about you.  Give us a deep seeded desire to want to experience you for ourselves, especially through your word.
Amen
  

No comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus